Saturday, September 8, 2012

Welcome to Great Falls!

Anyone who knows me and knows how much I love to run, knows how much I love to run trails.  Given the choice, I'll pick trail running 10 times out of 10, especially in the fall, here in New England, when the scenery is breathtaking, the air is crisp, the trails are in great shape.
Some running compadres, however, shy away from trail running, for fear of twisting an ankle on roots or rocks, or getting injured.  Not me.  I ALWAYS vote for trail running, and over the course of a 22 tear running "career," I can easily count the number of times I've actually fallen while running trails.  In fact, heading into today, that number was a solid two.  And on both priors, I was able to recover nicely with a quick barrel roll.
Not so today.
This morning, running with the E Streeters at Great Brook State Park in Carlisle, I took what was easily the worst spill I've ever inuccured while running.  My size 13s tripped over a rock.
Down I went, ass over teakettle, into an ugly pile on the trail.  Cheek to the ground, dirt in mouth, trail rash on both hands, along my arm and on my hip.  It was ugly.  Here's me, back up and ready to kill.
Barry, running alongside, and quick to rush to my aid, was amazed at my restraint in terms of the number of expletives yelled.
Scott, Carlos and Sean were in front of us, so they missed the debacle.  And luckily, I was the only one running with a camera.  With said camera, I was able to snap a picture of the rock that felled Goliath, and can produce it here so you understand how it happened.
So, that one's in the books.  I've got one toe in bad shape, hopefully it's not broken.  We'll find out tomorrow.  Does this deter me from running trails?  Absolutely not.  Given the opportunity, I'll be right back out on them again next weekend.  And if you see me out there, just get the hell out of my way, because I can't stop.
In the meantime, I figured I'd use this opportunity to look at some of the other great falls out there.  So enjoy.  Nice to see I'm in good company. 

1 comment:

Tom B said...

Glad to see and hear that although you suffered some bumps and bruises you emerged from the tumble with your humor and overall health intact. I'm with you. Trails may have rocks and roots but the scenery and the softer ground beat the road any day. Good luck with the toe.