Thursday, March 3, 2016

You Got It Made, Marion

One of Lowell's living literary legends called it a day on Thursday - at least a sort of day.
Because nobody really believes Paul Marion is going to fade quietly into the sunset.

Lowell's poet laureate and resident aficionado on all things Beatles/Bob Dylan/Jack Kerouac/South Common/Lowell officially retired from the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, and was feted by hundreds of his friends and colleagues alike on Thursday night, with his wife, Rosemary, naturally, by his side.  Sadly, I couldn't make it to the event in person.
But if I could, though, I'd like to honor the man here, at a Wicked Good blog.

And this time, the blog post won't be in my words, it'll be in the words of some of Paul's favorite peeps.  So to speak.  A different Ballad of a Thin Man.
So without, any further ado, a tribute to Sir Paul - the fifth, sixth, or seventh Beatle. We've lost count. I'm not going to attribute the quotes or lyrics to their authors.  I leave that to Paul, who, if he's truly worth his salt in literature and music, can credit these with his eyes closed.

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars."

(Yankee Magazine)

Now the moon is almost hidden, the stars are beginning to hide
The fortune telling lady has even taken all her things inside
All except for Cain and Abel and the hunchback of Notre Dame
Everybody is making love or else expecting rain
And the Good Samaritan, he's dressing, he's getting ready for the show
He's going to the carnival tonight on Desolation Row
May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.


You’ve been with the professors
And they’ve all liked your looks
With great lawyers you have
Discussed lepers and crooks
You’ve been through all of
F. Scott Fitzgerald’s books
You’re very well read
It’s well known

Because something is happening here
But you don’t know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones?

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"

Now they asked me to read a poem
At the sorority sister's home 
I got knocked down and my head was swimmin'
I wound up with the Dean of Women
Yippee ! I'm a poet, and I know it
Hope I don't blow it.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."


So now I’m goin’ back again
I got to get to her somehow
All the people we used to know
They’re an illusion to me now
Some are mathematicians
Some are carpenters’ wives
Don’t know how it all got started
I don’t know what they’re doin’ with their lives
But me, I’m still on the road
Headin’ for another joint
We always did feel the same
We just saw it from a different point of view
Tangled up in blue

"The page is long, blank, and full of truth.  When I am through with it, it shall probably be long, full, and empty with words."















"Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road."

Best of luck to you, Paul, you're one of a kind.  Folks, if you haven't already, check out Paul's book, Mill Power: the Origin and Impact of Lowell National Park, available everywhere books worth reading are found.

And never forget, Paul:

And in the end, the love you take
Is equal to the love you make

3 comments:

paul_marion@uml.edu said...

Pat, It is said that "Like a Rolling Stone" is the Notre Dame Cathedral of rock and roll. Well, your epic post blew me away and will have to be categorized as the Lowell Memorial Auditorium of writerly appreciations, going down in the cultural history of our unforgettable time. I am putting this one in the time capsule. Color me grateful. Color me humbled. Color me pumped up. Thanks a million.

Unknown said...

Paul Marion... you ROCK! like "a Long and Winding Road", you bring us back to Lowell's door!

Peg Shanahan said...

A most nutritious breakfast read, Pat Cook! As for 'The Lowell Memorial Auditorium of writerly appreciations' - I'll chew on that for the rest of the day. Shine on, Paul!