Saturday, September 4, 2010

Walk On! (Cue U2 Song Here)

On Sunday, September 12, Jackie is once again going to pound the pavement of the Boston Marathon course. But while she won't have the thousands of screaming supporters that line the course in April, her's is a much more important effort, as she once again takes part in the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk to raise money for cancer research.

She and her sister have done the course successfully for several years, and it's something she trains vigorously for throughout the summer.
To help raise the funds to support her walk, she's circulated a fund-raising letter among her friends, which I'm only too happy to share with folks here.
So without further ado, take it over, Jack:


So another year has passed and it is that time of year to lace up my sneakers and join my sister on a great half-marathon walk from Wellesley to Boston as part of the Dana Farber Cancer Walk.
Along the way we see amazing homes, lovely parks, and 13 mile markers that really strike to the heart of why we walk. One mile marker may say “I’m Josh. I’m 5 years old. I want to be a fireman when I grow up.” Then there is Sarah who is 2 and wants to be “all better.”

As you all know, I walk for a very personal reason. My sister Annie has been in remission from leukemia for 7 years now. Her daily pilgrimages to the gym and excellent lifestyle have made her the picture of health.

Thanks to Dana Farber, Dr. John Stone, and a lot of divine intervention, she is doing fabulously! I can never do enough for Dana Farber to thank them for what they did for my sister and our family, as well as what they do on a daily basis for countless others.

Cancer is such an insidious disease that affects young and old alike. Sadly, I’m sure it has touched someone in your life as well. Although I enjoy walking and it is truly a memorable day, it would be wonderful if someday we didn’t have to.

As I’ve done in past years, I am looking for any type of donation to help support me and the Dana Farber cause for this September 12th inspirational walk. I thank you all for your continuous support over the past years.

Please take good care of yourselves, enjoy your surroundings and get yearly physicals!

Love
Jackie

There's a couple of ways you can donate:

1) You can go to the official Jimmy Fund website:


Type in Jackie Cook and donate to my cause on-line

2) You can get a donation to either Pat or I in person - if you use a check (made out to Jimmy Fund Walk), write my bib number (3409) on the memo line.

Thanks as always for the support!

No comments: